Okay, so the title of this blog is probably a lie, but “Wearing Dresses Makes Other People Think You’ve Lost Weight” was just a bit too long. :)
Since I’ve started wearing dresses to work the past few weeks (thanks Gwynnie Bee!) several people have asked me if I’ve lost weight… the answer (unfortunately) is no, but the compliments sure do make me feel good!
I was staring at myself in the mirror trying to see what other people seem to see, and I’ve come up with a few reason why this lovely phantom weight loss is happening:
- Other people are right, my scale is just wrong. — What? It’s possible!! No? Okay, next.
- I cut off 15 inches of my hair and donated it, thus making my hair fuller and less “weighed down”. — Maybe?
- Spanx. — I would TOTALLY give Spanx the credit here, except that the times I’ve been asked if I’ve lost weight, I haven’t been wearing them!
- I bought new bras and my “side fat” is now actually part of my “boobage” — did I make those words up? I don’t care. I’d give my news bras the credit but again, not wearing them when asked if I’ve lost weight (but to be clear, I was wearing a bra – just not the new ones!).
- I’m standing taller because I feel more confident. — now we’re getting somewhere.
- Swagger. — Yeah, I have it now. ha!
- The ballroom dancing classes I took this summer tightened up my back and stomach muscles a bit, thus making me look thinner. — Probably.
The truth is, I don’t know why I look thinner. Or, I may actually be a bit thinner and just not see a weight loss on the scale. This is why it’s so important to use various methods for tracking your progress! I say that to remind myself that I should probably get out the measuring tape to see if any of this is actually true…
My reason for joining Gwynnie Bee was because I liked the idea that I could lose weight and wear the same dresses but in different sizes… so far that isn’t happening in any significant way. I’ve decided to give myself until the end of the year to go down an actual size or two, otherwise I might as well just invest in a few key pieces of my own while I decide how to make this weight loss happen. However, I’d much rather just keep renting these dresses, skirts and tops that make me feel pretty, oh so pretty! Guess I better come up with a plan…
All of that to say: I LOVE DRESSES! DRESSES, DRESSES, DRESSES!!!
I can not wait for fall to get here so I can start wearing some dresses with tights and boots and, yay dresses!