I am a planner. I love planners. I love paper. I love pens. I love making plans and writing down plans in pretty planners. I love making lists and rewriting lists and color coding lists. I love everything about planning except actually following through on my plans… haha!
For years now I’ve been without a paper planner. Since I’m single with no one else to take care of but my cats, it got really boring writing “work” from 7am – 6pm every weekday, and “clean apartment” on the weekends. Yes, I live a wild life, people!
Eventually I just switched to writing all my “extra” events on a desk calendar, and when phones became ‘smart’ (yes, I’m that old…) I used my phone’s calendar to set event reminders.
But I missed holding an actual paper planner!
So last year I decided to jump on the Passion Planner bandwagon and ordered a small weekly version. I was so excited when it arrived (in February due to a kerfuffle with shipping) and I diligently filled it out every day for several weeks, but soon realized that a vertical weekly layout was not for me. You want to know what’s more depressing than seeing “work” on a daily planner page? Seeing it in weekly format. Haha! There also just was not enough room for all of my lists and doodles and brain dumps. It works great for some people, just not me.
So I gave that planner to a friend and went on the hunt for a daily planner. Oh, how deep that pretty pretty planner hole is! The hashtags, the Facebook groups, the washi tape… MY PEOPLE!! I asked for daily planner suggestions on Instagram and a blogging friend offered to gift me her Happy Stripe daily Simplified Planner because after using it she thought it was a bit too big to lug around with her new baby, even though she loved it.
I may have hugged it when it arrived. I took it everywhere (you know, from home to work, home to work, home to …).
Fast forward to September and it was already time to decide if a daily planner was still right for me (since all I do is make lists) or if I wanted to try a different weekly layout, or even just go with a regular notebook! I decided that I definitely wanted a hard-cover planner, but could not decide between weekly and daily… so I ended up buying both versions of the 2016 Simplified Planner!
And then on a whim, I decided to purchase and review several others that I had been seeing all year and wanted to check out myself.
Behold, my favorite hard-cover planners for 2016!
Clockwise from top left:
- 2016 17-Month Weekly Simplified Planner in Gold Pineapple by Emily Ley
- 2016 Daily Day Designer by Whitney English with exclusive edition cover design by Kayce Hughes
- 2016 Daily Day Designer Mini by Whitney English in Blush Pink with Gold Dots exclusive design by Belle and Blush
- 2016 Daily Purposeful Planner in Holly Floral by Cori Clark
- 2016 Daily Simplified Planner in Happy Stripe by Emily Ley
Aren’t they pretty?!
Top to bottom:
- Day Designer Mini, 6.625″ x 8.3″ // 2. Weekly Simplified Planner, 8″ x 9″ // 3. Daily Simplified Planner, 8″ x 9″ // 4. Day Designer, 9″ x 9.75″ // 5. Purposeful Planner, 9″ x 10″
Over the next couple of weeks I’ll be updating this post with links to full review posts on each of these planners, but here’s a few things to note:
- The Simplified Planners were redesigned this year to be smaller, so they are actually only slightly bigger than the Day Designer Mini (but the Mini is thicker)
- The Purposeful Planner is by far the largest and heaviest of this set, but I would attribute a lot of that to the fact that she treats every day the same – Saturdays and Sundays get their own full pages instead of sharing one like all the others!
- They all seem to have the same gold corner covers, and gold wire bindings. The wire bindings are very sturdy on all of these planners this year, which hasn’t always been the case so it’s a nice upgrade.
- The only planners with color on the pages are the Simplified Planners. You can see by the colorful tabs that Emily Ley likes color, and so do I! It’s actually very subtle, just on the dates and names of each month, but all the other planners are black and white which a lot of people like because they get to ‘dress up’ their planners with their colors of choice!
Speaking of colors, here are a few of my favorite planner accessories!
These are Amazon affiliate links, but you can find these at any office supply store, or Etsy; but Etsy might be dangerous for your wallet. ;)
*owl sold separately (he was a present!) ha!
And now for the very best part of this post: I’ve teamed up with several other bloggers and we’re giving away three planners!!!
Here are the details:
Week of December 21st: Enter to win the 2016 Daily Blush Pink w/ Gold Dots Day Designer Mini on Instagram only – so make sure you’re following me!
Week of December 28th: Enter to win the 2016 Daily Holly Floral Purposeful Planner on my blog
I’m really excited to be giving these away, and I hope they help make 2016 just a little more organized for the lucky three!